Frequently Asked Questions

No.  The training is on-demand, meaning you can take it whenever you want.  You will have 1 year of unlimited access to the course.  You can logout and return to where you left off.

For state-approved courses we must keep track of your time in the course.  Time is calculated between clicks, so if you are taking a break, be sure to click the next page before you logout.

California Certificate of Authorization

California State Law says we must have an original Certificate of Authorization to Manufacture Notary Public Seals in order to ship a notary seal. A notary seal is any stamp, embosser or electronic stamp that has all the elements meeting the definition of a seal in GC 8207.

If you do not have an original Certificate of Authorization you can request a new one in writing. Customize and use our template to request a new COA: California COA Request Form

You can MAIL your ORIGINAL Certificate of Authorization to:
PO Box 41400
Des Moines, IA 50311-0507

We recommend using PRIORITY MAIL.

You can use UPS or FEDEX to send your Certificate of Authorization to us:
500 New York Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50313


To access your course, go to “Training” in the main menu, then click “My Purchased Courses.” This will take you to a page showing a calendar. Click “More” in the top left corner of the page, and click on “My Courses.”

In most states we need your basic notary commission information:

  • Notary Name
  • Expiration Date
  • County
  • Commission Number
  • Any other pertinent info

Some states require a copy of a commission certificate or other proof, such as Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Missouri, South Dakota, Georgia, and Maryland.  California requires you to send us your ORIGINAL Certificate of Authorization to Manufacture Notary Public Seals.

You can send this info with your order number to or in most cases, you can upload it at the time you make your stamp order: Notary Supplies

It is basically the same process for new and renewing California notaries.  Things to note:

  • A 3-hour state-approved training course fulfills the training requirement for renewing notaries, however, you must take and PASS the state exam PRIOR to your commission expiring. If you do not or will not be able to do this, you must take the 6-hour course.
  • You can take the training up to 2 years prior to your expiration date and the state exam up to 1 year prior to your expiration date.
  • You can keep your journal as long as you are in the renewal process, even if your commission has expired.
  • You must destroy/deface your notary seals when your commission has expired.
  • If you no longer are a notary and are not renewing, turn in your journal(s) and records to the county clerk where your bond and oath are on file.

If you need a notary journal, notary bond, notary seal, or almost any other type of notary supply quickly, we can probably have it to you via UPS Next Day Air if ordered by 3pm CST. Note that it's always a good idea to call us to confirm.

An occurrence-based policy offers protection for errors and omissions that occurred during the policy term, even if the policy has expired. For example, if Nancy Notary has a $25,000 E&O policy covering her from 1/1/2018 to 1/1/2019 and a customer sues her on 4/1/2022 for a mistake she made on 6/1/2018, the policy would respond.